Friday, October 23, 2009

Original Abstract Painting

Selection, brainstorming, searching for subject matter, composition, color and then finally a focus. I go through a whole series of mental exercises before painting.

The only analogy that comes to mind is a baseball pitcher on the mound, winding up then sending a fast ball through the air and hitting the catcher’s mitt. Then bingo I finally know what to paint! (It’s the baseball playoff’s, what can I say.) You don’t normally think of baseball when looking at abstract or impressionist painting but it works for me.

Imagination whether it’s coming from third base sliding into home or focusing on a red abstract tree it feels similar to me. It’s all part of the creative process. So never say “I’m not creative” just look around you and find something that will take you to that playful place....

No comments: